Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year! You may now kiss the bride.


It's that time of year again. You know, the beginning. We counted down until the ball dropped, congratulated each other on surviving yet another year, made resolutions, and some of us kissed. We made it through the first decade of the new millenium. Yay.

So for the next couple weeks, people all over the globe may notice slight changes in their friends and acquaintences. Out of shape people may start attending a gym, college kids may pledge to study more or procrastinate less, people in the fast lane may attempt to slow down. The truth is, though, most people stay true to their resolutions strictly for about a month and then slowly start to return to their normal selves. Gym trips may go from three times a week to once a week to once every other week. Study habits will dwindle down when more exciting options appear. And let's face it: nobody will ever procrastinate less.

I'm not writing this to give you any advice on how to stick to your resolutions. I've set numerous resolutions for myself every year and the only ones I actually stick to for the whole twelve months are the ones I already knew I would accomplish (like maintaining my GPA). I find myself following through for longer when I write reminders in places I'm sure to come across several times a day or by setting time aside on my calendar. That's the one piece of advice I actually do have: write it down and it's more likely to be done.

Sticky note on the mirror: Hey, asshole! Go to the gym, you fatty!

Really, if you want something badly enough, you'll make it happen (in most cases, anyway). It's mainly about willpower, which is something I personally don't have a whole lot of. And time and time again I'm told "If you have the mindset that you're going to fail, then you will." So this time around I'm entering the new year with a positive attitude and an optimistic view on my abilities to stick to what I want to succeed with.

Besides the resolution aspect of New Years, I entered the year surrounded by people having fun. This year makes two years in a row that I felt genuinely happy as the clock hit 12:00 am on January 1. I was with my best friend since third grade, my twin brother, my mom, my other family, about about 50 other people (not exaggerating). It was pretty awesome, not going to lie.
I went to bed around 3:30 am and woke up at 7:24 am so I could leave Tasha's house and start getting ready for a wedding. Yes, a wedding on Jan 1. Just like Amanda said before she started tearing up, "Every year for the rest of their lives, they'll enter together! Oh my God, it's just so cute!" And hey, they'll never forget their anniversary.

A day surrounded by love was a pleasant and refreshing way to start the new year off. I love weddings so much. They make me so happy, for the most part. They also make me a little sad because right now I feel like I'll never experience that kind of love. I'm only 19 though, so I KNOW there's time, but that doesn't change the way I feel. My personal feelings about love aside, it was just so amazing to see Steph and Matt Kozy together. Two people loving each other so much to agree to stay together for the rest of their lives is just so... amazing. I can't think of a better word for it.

So I will share one of my resolutions with you. It's not to find that kind of love, but to change my attitude about that kind of love. It's my resolution to change my way of thinking to believe I deserve and will eventually experience it. Matt and Steph are best friends. They understand and support each other. They're so flipping adorable and perfect for each other. I honestly cannot think of a better match than the two of them. I feel honored that I got to witness their wedding and jumpstart my year in such a great way.

After the wedding, I spent several hours with an awesome group of people. We played games and laughed and drank white grape peach juice (OH MY GOODNESS IT'S SO GOOD). It was the perfect day to start off what I genuinely believe will be a much better year than the ones preceeding it.

So today will be spent packing to go back to campus, cleaning up some messes, relaxation, and positive thinking. I've always been a girl with an optimistic view on life for others but a slightly negative view of it for myself. That's going to change. This year started off differently and I think that was just the beginning of a positively different year.

I truly hope you can all say the same. Yesterday someone said people always think the new year is time to turn their lives around but "really, it's just going to be the same old shit." I've always believed the latter, and maybe you have too, even if just deep down. If that's the case, make it your resolution with me to change your way of thinking.

This is going to be a good year. We just have to let it be.

Happy New Year, everyone.

- My name is Kimberly and I will work out a lot (haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment